Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Conference Time!

Ok, I know I'm really back-tracking but I have a lot to catch up on that I want to document. I've heard a lot of criticism recently about blogging and I have to say that I still love it. It caused me to think about why I spend time doing this and I came to the realization that it doesn't even matter to me if anyone reads these posts at all. (Ok, I do care that you're reading this and I really love comments! :) )But really this is a fun way for me to document my little family's history. So anyway, now I'm going to talk about how we traditionaly celebrate general conference.
If you live in our house, usually the first 2 words that come to mind when I mention that it's conference time are these: EASY CHEESE. (I bet those are not the 2 words that came to your mind!) We have a conference tradition of setting out a big "snack lunch" to eat while watching the Sunday afternoon session. The menu has evolved over the years and is not to vary from this: crackers and Easy Cheese, veggies and dip, fruit and dip, deviled eggs, and slices of ham and turkey to make cracker sandwiches with the Easy Cheese. Anything else I would like to add is ok as long as there is Easy Cheese and deviled eggs. We also MUST have M&M's and gummy bears to play conference bingo. I went grocery shopping a couple of days before conference and set the new bottle of Easy Cheese on the counter before the kids got home from school. This is what they said when they saw it: "Easy Cheese! Cool! It's conference time!" Maybe that's not the most reverent approach to listening to the prophet and apostles speak, but hey, if they are excited to watch conference because the get to have Easy Cheese, then maybe that excitement will stay with them and when they're older they will want to watch just to listen to the prophet and apostles speak. And I think I will still put out the crackers and Easy Cheese then, as well!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Our kids love "the squirty cheese in a can". I'll have to remember that at Conference. You're right, anything to get them excited for Conference time and I hope someday it becomes the conference that's exciting and not the "squirty cheese"! Great idea!

Crewton said...

What a GREAT idea! Can we come over for next conference!!

Auburn said...

I LOVE it. Easy Cheese - so classic. I need to come to your house in April . . . I haven't had easy cheese in YEARS.

The Silly Nilly Family said...

The blogging is awesome and I love to read what you are up to. It is a great way to journal, in my opinion, and just a little perk that it keeps you in touch with friends. What could be bad about that? Hey thanks for sharing your awesome ideas.

Sheri Lee said...

Hey, I don't think bloggin is bad either! Definitely people can do it way too much, it's like anything else, good in moderation! I am pretty good at blogging in moderation, now I just need to add that talent to other areas of my life!

Shannon said...

I know I already left a comment, but I wanted to let you know you've been tagged. Check out my blog!

Erin A said...

BRILLIANT! What a fun way for the kids to look forward to conference! Thanks for the idea!