
It was a busy afternoon. Nothing extraordinary going on, just the usual afternoon rush of dinner preparations, homework, practicing, neighborhood kids in and out, etc. You know the drill. In the middle of it was E. asking me to push him on the swings in the backyard. I'll admit that I turned him down at first, but after he asked a second time I said ok. I think it's one of my greatest weaknesses as a mom, not taking hte time to just play with my children. I love them to death and love spending time with them, but it is usually on my terms and not theirs. I've missed a lot of great opportunities in the past because of this and that really makes me sad. So I left what I was doing and followed him outside. I pushed him super high on the swings like he wanted to and then we rode together on the glider swing. In less than 10 minutes, he said he was done and wanted to go back in the house. Ok, that didn't take very long and I went back to what I was doing before. Later that evening at dinner we played "Best and Worst." Everyone around the dinner table takes turns telling about the best moment of their day along with the worst moment of their day. When E.s turn came he proudly reported that the best part of that day was when I pushed him on the swing. He didn't even hesitate to think of something. There it was in the forefront of his mind, the very best part of his day. I will admit to tearing up, because my next thought was, "What if I had said no." Sure he probably would have thought of something else that was the best. When you're 4 years old, life is pretty good. But I was grateful and privileged that I got to share the very best part of his day with him. My turn was next and you can guess what I reported as my very best part of the day. It was a good day for me and I got a lot of important things done, but swinging with E. really topped them all. Thanks, E.
What will be your best moment today?
4 comments:
i think we are on the same wavelength today. i wrote a post this morning that falls right in line with yours!! i'd have to say the best part of my day so far was cuddling with my munchkins before their naps this afternoon. worst part . . . saying by to Dave in the morning, we always hate to see Daddy go ;o)
Thanks for that post Lisa. It's so wonderful to be a mom when you have that kind of perspective. It took me a while to think like that and now it makes being a mom "easy". If you can really say that:)
Love your post Lisa. I miss you, when are you going to come visit again?
That is so sweet, it really touches me.
Post a Comment