For example, Trevor and the kids were washing the Suburban on Saturday in our driveway. We usually take it to the drive-thru car wash but it closed early that day. So we (ok, they... I sat in a chair and watched the whole time) washed it the old-fashioned way. Aubrey started washing and stopped and asked me if we should take the antenna off first. I paused...has this child ever experienced washing the car at home???
When Parker was a baby he used to take the TV remote and hold it up to his ear and start talking. I paused...has he ever seen me use a telephone with a cord??? I still remember my parents' first cordless phone-- a big, bulky thing with a really long antenna.
Do you remember going out as a teenager and your parents made sure that you had a quarter in your pocket in case you needed to use the payphone to call home? We were watching an old Superman movie with our kids and they had no idea what a phone booth was.

Do you remember going to the library to do research and using the card catalog to look up a book? Or how about the Readers Guide to look up magazine articles? My kids have a hard time believing that we had to actually drive to the library. I have a hard time believing Parker when he says he has to do some research for homework and he hops onto the computer and is done in 10 minutes.


Will our children ever know what to do with a record, record player, 8-track tape or even a cassette tape? My kids can't believe that I didn't have my first cell phone until I was 30 years old. Sadly, they won't experience taking someone to the airport, all the way to the gate, and watching through the window as the plane takes off while they wave goodbye.
So it has officially happened to me. My children think that my life was old-fashioned. Makes me wonder what life will be like for their children!
2 comments:
Well, I'd say that confirms it, we're getting old. I sometimes get those "you were a child of the 70's or 80's if..." I loved my metal wheeled roller skates that sparked as I skated down the street!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, but, I am still convinced that we are not getting old! I tried to describe to layton what a record was & he said, kinda like a big CD?...yeah kinda!
Post a Comment