Monday, September 5, 2011
Monday's Memory
Labor day is an interesting holiday. Maybe I just don't get it, but it's never meant anything more than a long weekend. When I was little, it meant the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon. My mom would let me have a friend sleepover the Sunday night before Labor Day and we would watch the telethon. Not only would we watch as much as we could before we fell asleep, we were on a mission to write down all of the phone numbers that were on the bottom of the television screen. Back in the day, you could call in and make donations. But you had to call the local number for your city or state. (I can't remember which.) So we would sit and try to write all of the numbers down. Why? I have absolutely no idea. It seemed like a good way for a couple of nine-year-old girls to spend some time in front of the TV. This year, Jerry Lewis wasn't even hosting the telethon. And I'm sure there is a national call center to accept donations. And I'm sure that you can donate online as well. And there are certainly more entertainment options for nine-year-old girls at a sleepover. Funny, my kids don't even get to have sleepovers. My, how times have changed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment