Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tuesday's Terrific Tip

I have been doing a pretty good job so far this school year with cooking breakfast. It's not something I've always done but this year it's working out and I'm loving it! I found a GREAT recipe for whole wheat pancake mix here. The pancakes are healthy and hearty and you can enjoy the convenience of a mix for a fraction of the cost. (Sounds like I just wrote a pancake commercial!) I tweaked the recipe a little bit and still had good results. I don't always have buttermilk on hand, and sometimes would rather use skim milk anyway. My favorite is to add fresh blueberries. I make the mix and store it in the pantry. We get about 3 big batches of pancakes from 1 recipe of the mix. The recipe below is my "tweaked" version. Click the blue link above for the original at The Sisters Cafe. Enjoy!






Whole-Wheat Oatmeal Pancake Mix
(This will make 10 cups of dry mix.)


3 1/2 cups quick oats

4 cups whole wheat flour

1 cups all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons baking powder

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 cup vegetable oil


Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixer fitted with a paddle or you can do it by hand. With mixer on slow speed (or gently by hand), drizzle the vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it stays together, it is just right. If it is still crumbly, add another tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct). Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.

To make 12-15 pancakes: whisk together 2 1/2 cups mix, 2 cups milk, and 2 eggs. The mixture may seem thin at first but the oats will soak up the milk as it stands while the griddle preheats. (Sometimes I need to add about a 1/2 cup more of the mix.) Heat a griddle and drop the batter onto it. When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface and don’t break, turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side.

1 comment:

Erin A said...

This looks so good! And I think that even I could make it!! Thanks for the step by step instructions!