My boys are growing into fairly fine men, thanks in part, to the principles taught in Scouts. Last Sunday, a member of our ward bore his testimony of the Scouting program. He said that during a lesson in the Deacons quorum (12-13 year old boys) the boys were asked to identify the qualities that they would value in a future wife. Now if you've spent any time with 12 and 13 year old boys, you know that this is the type of question that results in a lot of goofy posture, goofy looks, and goofy comments. But amidst the goofiness, the qualities that they listed were these: someone who is trustworthy, someone who is loyal, helpful, courteous, kind, cheerful, reverent...you get the idea. Because this is the law that they recite each time they go to a Scout meeting.
A Scout is:
Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
Reverent
That is what I love about Scouting. Those are the qualities that I want my boys to value in themselves and others. That is why I wear the brown shirt, and even tuck it in.
4 comments:
Am I really tearing up at this post? Geez!
I look forward to when my little boys will be scouts! ;o)
Thanks--hopefully some of your good attitude rubs off on me. I regret to say that I do NOT have a testimony of scouting at this particular time in my life. :)
A piano player AND a person who understands the foreign language of scouts!! I think those are two of the highest commodities out there! You are a valuable woman!
This is an excellent post!! So cute to think about those 12-13 year olds...Thank you!
I just saw one of your posts of facebook that said you had a blog. I love blogs! :)
This is a great post. I have also learned to love the scouting program.
Post a Comment